Elm – Mrs Price (Year 1)
|Mrs S Price
|Miss B Gutherie
|Mrs R Hignett
|Mrs J Bougen
Welcome to Year 1!
Mrs Price and the rest of the Year 1 team are really excited for Summer 2 and all the fantastic learning that will take place. We are looking forward to continuing to work in partnership with parents to get the best outcomes for the children. We can’t believe we are in Summer term!
As we enter Summer 2, the class will continue to focus on developing independence.
You can find out more about the learning we will be doing by looking on our curriculum flyer for the term or our curriculum map for a yearly overview.
- Please support your child to ‘Strive for 5’ by listening and encouraging your child to read five times a week. We will be keeping a record in class and there will be rewards for reading at home.
- Mrs Price will also set homework on a Friday that is due in the following week. This is set via Dojo.
- PE will take place on Mondays and Thursdays. Children should come to school in their PE kit. This saves valuable lesson time. Children should come to school on their PE days in their white PE t-shirt, their school jumper/ cardigan and either plain black leggings or plain black jogging bottoms (these can be purchased from local supermarkets and should not be branded). They may come in their red shorts if the weather is warm.
- Children should remember to bring their reading records and spelling books to school daily.
- All children should bring a water bottle daily, this will be sent home at the end of the day to be washed.
The Core Subjects in Year 1
Children will access daily phonics sessions using Read Write Inc (RWI).
Children will continue to access daily, whole class, reading lessons through Steps to Read. In these lessons, all aspects of word reading and comprehension are modelled, practiced and used through accessing high-quality fiction, non-fiction and poetry texts.
All children will also have access to ReadingWise, an online learning platform which supports their vocabulary development.
Writing lessons will be structured around a vehicle text, which changes each half term. The vehicle texts comprehensively link with the National Curriculum objectives that are taught in Year 1. The children will be exposed to a wide range of activities.
Each maths lesson begins with Rapid Recall – in which children answer 5 questions, based on previous learning. Recapping prior learning in this way helps children to understand maths concepts better and get to the answer faster. During maths lessons, new concepts will be introduced and scaffolded using concrete, pictorial and abstract approaches. As a class, we will continue to use a mastery approach, embedding maths concepts, in order to ensure that every child develops a deep understanding of maths. The children will have access to Numbots to support home learning and their basic fluency.
For parents math guidance, please click here to be redirected to a page on the school website.
Weekly science lessons provide the foundations for understanding the world. Throughout Year 4, children will be encouraged to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring, to predict how things will behave, and to analyse causes. During lessons, children will work scientifically, as they set up simple comparative tests, make careful observations, record and evaluate their findings.
The majority of communications between school and parents will be sent by email. Please ensure that you check this regularly.
If you have any questions, please email either of Mrs Price directly on:
Class Information Updates
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @TheOaksCPElm to get frequent updates about what we have been up to in class.